August 15, 2011

Clutter

I am embarking on a project. A huge project. Something that eats and eats away at my brain on a daily basis. Something I think about multiple times a day (and night) and yet I do nothing about it!

I am talking about clutter.

The endless stacks of paper and mail on my kitchen table. The cereal boxes and leftover cookies on the counter. The clothes on the floor. The random hair accessories in the bathroom drawers. The overfilled closets. Wrapping paper and bows.

Clutter is everywhere! It's been taking over my house slowly for the past couple of years. But I hate it!

It gets in the way. It looks horrible! When I "clean" for guests, everything unsightly gets put in our extra storage room, and then I lock and bolt the door so no one can see what our house really looks like.

I spend waaaaaay too long looking for important documents, or the measuring tape that I can't find for the life of me.

I'm telling you, clutter in the home can seriously interfere with happy living!

But today is a new day. I've been reading a book on how to de-clutter and it's given me some great ideas. I've always wanted that immaculate looking house, where everything has it's place and there's a place for everything.

As a perfectionist though, I become OVERWHELMED just thinking about de-cluttering.

This is my normal thought process,
"I want to organize my room and bathroom. So I'll start by cleaning off the top of the dresser. Boy, when did I accumulate so many hair accessories and pieces of jewelry? I guess I'll make a place in the bathroom for all this stuff so I can clear off the top of the dresser. But all the bathroom drawers are cluttered and full of random brushes, combs, floss, curling irons, hair products, what do I do with those? If I clean out the bathroom drawers, then I'll have room to put my jewelry and hair accessories in there. But where will I put the random curling irons? I could put them in a box downstairs! But wait, before I put them downstairs, I have to organize the shelves in the basement by color, size, item, season. In order to do that, I have to buy more storage boxes and go through all the seasonal stuff. Where should I store that extra Christmas tree we have down there? Now that I'm thinking of it, I should go through all the Christmas ornaments one by one and get rid of all the cracked ones........."
See? My thought process makes me so overwhelmed that I keep pushing off this project. I am going to set goals and tell myself that each day I need to set aside some time, whether it is a chunk of time (1-2 hours) or 10 minute increments (the latter is more realistic for me since I have a baby).

I WILL DE-CLUTTER MY HOME SO THAT I CAN HAVE A HAPPY LIVING SPACE!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...